Junior Embedded Software EngineerEngineering | Cambridge, UK, United Kingdom
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
Our team and focus
Xylem has a vacancy in its world class Power Electronics Centre of Excellence (PECOE) in Cambridge. We are designing ground-breaking products, being supported by the resources of a global company with over 17,000 employees world-wide.
The primary focus of this Centre is to design a range of custom motor drives (variable frequency) to surpass efficiency, usability and reliability requirements for a wide range of water applications. With one of the locations being a world-class Cambridge-based consultancy, Sentec, we are supported by excellent facilities and superb access to its scientific experience and expertise whilst maintaining our constant focus on the design of motor drives.
Grow with us as a Junior Embedded Software Engineer!
We are looking for a Junior Embedded Software Engineer to be part of a small group of engineers working on embedded motor controllers and related systems. Our software engineering work spans everything from embedded low level interrupts and device driver code up to PC-based GUI and test harness development – with lots of engineering in between for motor efficiency, product safety and certification, and connected HMI devices and comms.
We are focused on bringing state of the art VFD technology to multiple Xylem products. We develop software using agile methodology, and innovation is at the core of what we do. As a software engineer you will be required to write high quality embedded software and help us to improve our code base. The ability to work across all stages of product development is necessary, from reading circuit schematics to writing automated test software.
The PECOE group has a diverse background and is distributed across 3 continents (+/- 5 hours). We have a relaxed work environment, allowing new ideas and solutions to flourish whilst maintaining high standards in order to meet our client’s needs and deadlines. This position requires laboratory work, and therefore you will have a good engineering degree and be willing to be located or within a commutable distance from Cambridge, UK. We are happy to supply sponsorship for VISA's.
The background & interests we would like to see in your profile and/or educate you further in:
- Good knowledge of embedded C
- Thorough understanding of the software development processes
- Bare metal programming experience and deep understanding of micro-controllers
- Passionate about control theory
- Engineering Degree and a good track record of developing software and systems
- Engineering skills – lab work, measurements, data analysis
- Experience with version control systems such as Git and Subversion
- Experience with/interest in power electronics
- Knowledge of one or more high level programming language (C#, Python, Ruby, Java or others)
- Experience of several communication protocols
- Experience with product safety and software reliability engineering
Excited? Apply now and let's solve water together!
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.