Crew Chief (Hydrants & Valves)Operations | Essex, MD, United States
We’re Hiring for a Crew Chief!
If you are excited and passionate about helping #LetsSolveWater, consider joining our team today! Xylem, Inc. is a leading global water technology company servicing more than 150 countries and is dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues. We are looking for individuals to join our mission by exceeding customer expectations through smart sustainable solutions. At Xylem, you will have the opportunity to solve water by participating in our paid Volunteer Program, Xylem Watermark!
THE ROLE: The Crew Chief will be responsible for the safe, accurate and professional operation of the crew. The Crew Chief is in charge of the field operation, provides direction to the Operators, and is responsible for the truck and all of the equipment. The Crew Chief executes valve and hydrant operations and maintenance in the field as well as data collection activities. We offer a full benefits package to include 4 WEEKS Paid Time Off (PTO) for hourly positions, health, dental, vision, investment savings plan, and other additional miscellaneous benefits.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Consistently applies appropriate procedures and processes with minimal direction from others
- Experience in valve turning preferred
- Identifies safety hazards and applies safe working practices to self and peers; keeps job site clean
- Actively participates and may lead onsite safety and planning meetings to review safety risks and areas of concern based on planning documentation and onsite observations
- Identifies and troubleshoots simple technical issues, with support of qualified operators
- Empowered to raise observations/concerns and recognition to immediate team and leadership as required
- Focused on continuous improvement by consistently looking for ways to improve and promote quality, efficacy, and safety
- Complete daily timesheets and expense reports as required
- High School Diploma or GED with up to 3 years previous experience in a field/shop/construction setting
- Post Secondary education a plus; certification in engineering/trades discipline a plus
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills; must be able to understand technical operating procedures, ask questions, and share observations
- Proven technical/mechanical aptitude through previous work experience/education
- Dedicated team player committed to the safe and successful operations for everyone involved
- Availability to work overtime, weekends and holidays if needed
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office
- Ability to perform basic math skills
- Proven ability to complete assigned work in a timely manner with quality results
- Must have a valid driver’s license and DOT Medical Card; must have a reasonable driver’s record
- Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views.
DAY IN THE LIFE:
This role is subjected to multiple environments such as office/warehouse environment, which includes florescent lighting, dust, recycled air, cooling fans, semi-enclosed areas, central heating, seasonal warmer temperatures and office noise. It is also subjected to a shop/field environment which includes occasional work around pipes, vales, electrical equipment and operating machinery such as commonly found around manufacturing facilities, construction sites, water and wastewater treatment plants. The physical demands may include but not limited to lift/ transport up to 50 pounds, regularly required to sit, stand, walk and reach with hands and arms, In addition, this role may travel up to 25% and occasional after hours phone support as a regular part of the job.
The estimated salary range for this position is $24.00 to $26.00 per hour plus bonus. Starting pay is dependent on multiple factors, such as skills, experience and work location, and is not typically at the top of the range. At Xylem we offer a competitive compensation package with a generous benefit package, including Medical, Dental, Vision plans, 401(k) with company contribution, paid time off, paid parental leave and tuition reimbursement.
At Xylem, we embrace diversity and strive to create avenues where employees feel valued and appreciated through our DE&I initiatives and Employee Resources Groups (ERG). Xylem is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action workplace. Xylem prohibits discrimination, harassment of any kind and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or sexual orientation (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, medical conditions or disability, genetic information, age, or other non-merit factors.
Join the global Xylem team today! Xylem is a team creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges through developing new technologies and services that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor, and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential, and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
Disclaimer: The information listed within this job description is designed to indicate the general nature of work expected for this position and shall not be viewed as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required in this position. Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and if requested, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job absent undue hardship. Xylem reserves the right to modify this job description or assign other duties to this position as needed.