Application EngineerEngineering | Rugby, UK, United Kingdom
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Leopold, a Xylem Brand, seeks a self-driven, motivated Application Engineer to primarily manage the design, maintenance and implementation of all filtration and clarification design and pricing software tools. This includes but is not limited to interfacing with personnel within the tender support and sales teams to train on all new and existing tools as required. This role will also secondarily review applications defined by consulting engineers, sales representatives, sales companies, and customers for suitability of Filtration and Clarification products and then, in accordance with established Company standard procedures and policies, prepare literature, proposals, cost estimates, proposal drawings, etc. as required to support the global sales effort. Xylem’s Leopold brand provides filtration solutions for water and wastewater treatment public utility applications.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Manage all design and pricing software tools for filtration and clarification products (mainly Excel based) including design, construction, testing, training and implementation.
- Create design tool specifications and action plans as required for projects and deliver finished products as defined in the specifications.
- Coordinate with IT to present tool specifications and action plans so IT can perform the proper programming to develop the tools.
- Schedule and hold training sessions for new and existing employees as required.
- Perform maintenance on new and existing tools.
- Develop design proposals utilizing Xylem process design tools, preliminary drawings and P&ID diagrams, and budget pricing using customer provided project specifications as directed by the Tender Support Manager.
- Interface with Product Managers, Purchasing Manager and Engineering Manager as required to develop tender deliverables.
- Review customer requirements (engineer’s plans, specifications, etc) and identify Leopold opportunities. Compare specification requirements with the Leopold products to determine applicability of Leopold product offering.
- Prepare tender package, consisting of technical proposals, drawings, cost estimates, standard pricing, production and delivery schedules, P&ID diagrams, and additional as required information in accordance with existing Company standard procedures, policies, and cost information.
- Manage the tender process, ensuring all milestone dates are met, all pricing, documentation is prepared and stored in accordance with Company standard procedures, and all database information is properly entered for each prospect.
- Manage project hand-off tasks for orders received.
- Support the technical and commercial risk assessment process as required during the tendering phase.
- Interface and communicate with the Xylem Sales companies.
- Other duties that may be assigned by Supervisor
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- BS in Engineering - Chemical, Mechanical, Civil, or Environmental preferred.
- 2-3 years of experience in engineer-to-order projects, system/process engineering, mechanical design, manufacturing, field service/startup, pilot plant operation, or sales is preferred.
- Demonstrate excellent computer, communication, presentation and analytical skills. A working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products is required.
- A working knowledge of Visual Basic or similar programming language is preferred but not essential.
- Familiarity with (work or education) performing engineering-related computer aided design and drafting, using AutoCAD or CREO is preferred but not essential.
- Fluent in English, multi-lingual capabilities desirable.
- Good communication skills are required.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, Working Parents Networks and Non-Native English Speakers and Allies.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk and reach with hands and arms.
- Maneuver around in water and wastewater clarification and filtration installations.
- Frequently required to communicate orally.
- Ability to use hands and fingers dexterously to operate office equipment.
- Ability to lift and carry at least 25 pounds
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Job Site: New and rehabilitated Water and Wastewater plant construction sites.
- Travel: Domestic and international travel via airplane, car or other transportation vehicles to customer locations to assist in sales and project execution activities (up to 10%).
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.