Xylem Innovation Labs Incubator LeadResearch & Development | Any Location - United States, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: The Xylem Innovation Labs seeks to hire an Incubator Lead. The Xylem Innovation Labs (XIL) is Xylem’s internal team that seeks to partner with universities, startups and technology companies to bring external innovation into Xylem.
Within Xylem Innovation Labs, there is an Incubator Program that has been built and launched for the purpose of investigating technologies developed by universities, startups, and small companies that may fit a portfolio gap or follow a future breakthrough technology that will advance Xylem’s competitive position. These entrepreneurs/technologies go through an ‘Incubator Program’ to learn how to engage with Xylem, engaged in a development project to advance the technology readiness level (TRL) forward, and for Xylem to understand the value of the technology and de-risk engagement with the company.
Throughout this process, the Incubator Lead builds relationships with the entrepreneurs, acting as a mentor and facilitator, and works to build the business case for Xylem from a technology and commercial standpoint. The Incubator Lead not only guides the participants through the entire process and track their progress after the Incubator, but for the Incubation period they act as an extension of the entrepreneur’s team to make sure they maximize their experience and preparedness to prospectively engage with Xylem at the end of the program. That engagement could be in the form of a licensing deal, moving on the Accelerator Program to focus on commercialization, or otherwise.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- The Incubator Lead will be a key part of the founding Xylem Innovation Labs team, the central corporate group at Xylem investigating how we can partner with technology companies to bring the most cutting-edge innovation inside of Xylem’s walls
- Work with XIL’ Innovation Analyst to continuously realign technology scouting priorities with the business units
- Develop KPIs to track progress and success of the XIL team as a whole, and Incubator in-particular
- Coordinate additional pilots outside the scope of the incubator program at a predetermined cadence based on available resources
- Coordinate with the M&A/strategy team to provide market intelligence and insights
- Attend conferences and strategic meetings/events (virtually and/or in-person – depending) on behalf of Xylem Innovation Labs
- Participate in internal communications about the mission of XIL and how to engage, as well as promote XIL externally to the innovation/startup ecosystem
- As Xylem technical track member, act as subject-matter expert on all topics related to sensing – supporting the Accelerator program, the Technology Scouting and Assessment program, and other efforts at Xylem
- Leader of Xylem’s first Incubator program created to work with early-stage startup companies to keep Xylem at the cutting edge of new technology development
- Develop and execute strategy to establish inaugural Incubator program
- Source and bring together resources for Incubator program including, but not limited to, Xylem speakers, third-party consultants and nonprofits, scouting advanced prototyping and coworking facilities, etc.
- Create closer working relationship and cadence with Sentec as main contributor/resource to support Incubator startup companies
- Work with the XIL team to manage the application, voting, and onboarding process of startup companies into the Incubator program
- Work as a team to manage all Incubator events, workshops/courses, meetings with internal/external stakeholders (venture capital firms, consulting organizations, startup companies, open innovation ecosystem partners, etc)
- Manage relationships with startup companies, Sentec, XIL Champions (professional development program participants), and other stakeholders participating in the Incubator program
- Mentor startup companies to guide their product development and bolster business acumen
- Work with the startup and Xylem business units to develop the business case
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- 10-15+ years of professional experience
- Bachelor’s degree in technical or business focus area
- Sophisticated understanding of intellectual property and product development
- Solid business acumen and commercial experience to implement to strategizing and executing bringing new technologies to market
- Understanding of commercial agreements and frameworks and negotiating tactics/techniques
- Strategic thinker that is interested in both participating in strategy as well as execution
- Candidate should have a creative and/or entrepreneurial interest
- Adept at working with stakeholders both inside and outside of Xylem, bringing people together to achieve a common goal/agenda
- Comfortable using Excel for high-level cost/financial modeling
- Ability to represent Xylem Innovation Labs both internally and in external environments
- Interest in new technology, innovation, and working with the startup ecosystem
- Ability to travel (as allowed by Covid restrictions)
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- 25% Travel
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Further, if the Company determines this role may be performed in or from Colorado, the salary range is $140,000 to $175,000 plus bonus. Final compensation will be dependent on various factors such as location, qualifications, certifications, relevant work experience and other factors, consistent with applicable law. We offer a generous benefit package, including Medical, Dental, Vision plans, 401(k) with company contribution, paid time off, paid parental leave and tuition reimbursement.