Manual MachinistOperations | Southaven, MS, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Manual Machinist – First Shift. Manual Lathe/Engine Lathe This position requires judgement to plan & perform normal range of operations requiring tool setting and machining with a manual lathe. This position requires application of established machining procedures that may affect quality of work.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Set up and operate manual lathes to perform a series of repetitive machining operations, such as turning, boring, threading, or facing of metal work pieces such as casting, forgings, & bar stock according to specifications, methods sheets, standard sheets and knowledge of turning procedures.
- Reads blue prints, job orders, method sheets, and standard charts for such specifications as dimensions, tolerances, and tooling instructions, such as type of holding fixtures, cutting speeds, feed rates and cutting tools to be used.
- Positions & secures tools in holders using wrenches.
- Lifts workpiece manually or with hoist & positions & secures it between lathe centers, in chuck or in holding fixture, using wrench or placing it in automatic loading mechanism.
- Moves controls to set specified rotation speeds, feed rates, & depth of cuts.
- Observes machining operation to detect malfunctions or excessive tool wear.
- Verifies conformance of machined work to specifications using fixed gauges, calipers, & micrometers.
- Changes worn tooling wrenches.
- May compute such date as dimensions, rotation speeds, feed rates, & machining times using knowledge of shop mathematics & metal properties.
- Perform miscellaneous duties & responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- High School Diploma/GED plus 1-2 years of manual lathe operation experience.
- Ability to read drawings, tool layouts and specifications.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Strong communications and teamwork skills.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Work in standing position 8 hours/shift
- Considerable arm movement and walking required; bending and stooping
- Work requires close attention to lifting and handling of medium weight parts up to 35 lbs. Heavy parts raised to position with chain hoist
- Average shop conditions with some temperature variations due to seasons
- Subjected to noisy environment requires wearing of ear plugs.
- Work around and with electrical leads, electric motors & wiring
- Standard PPE required: safety glasses, ear plugs, safety shoes with toe and metatarsal guards, gloves and work uniform
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.