Senior Embedded Firmware Engineer (Bare Metal)Engineering | San Diego, CA, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: As a full-time member of the Research and Development Team, the candidate will perform research and development functions – analysis, design, implementation, software and firmware development, automated testing and field testing pertaining to instrumentation development from concept to design and implementation as well as support and maintenance of existing instrument, software and firmware.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- As a full-time member of the Research and Development Team, the candidate will perform research and development functions – analysis, design, implementation, software and firmware development, automated testing and field testing pertaining to instrumentation development from concept to design and implementation as well as support and maintenance of existing instrument, software and firmware.
- Strong background and understanding of embedded system development in sensors and measurement instrumentation is required.
- Develop drivers and support code for embedded microcontroller including UART/SPI/ADC/USB/etc.
- Develop code algorithms for data modeling, sensors and signal processing.
- Design and validate experiments used to test instrumentation sub-systems and integrated systems.
- Develop calibration software and processes to transition new instruments from prototype to production
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related engineering degree plus 10 years of experience or equivalent work experience in developing systems/products.
- Minimum 10 years of embedded development (firmware/software/electrical).
- Experience with ARM microcontrollers.
- Understanding and experience with sensors and measurement systems.
- Extensive background in underwater acoustics and discharge calculations, requiring minimal direction, and enjoys a focused challenging environment is highly preferred.
- Experience with development of water measurement instrumentation is a strong plus.
- Analytical thinking ability – able to identify problems early in the development cycle and determine resolution.
- Ability to work with a cross-functional product development and product transition team.
- Regular field work/testing may be required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with ARM development tools such as emulators and compilers.
- Knowledge of Windows programming, Visual Studio, Matlab, and user interfaces is a plus.
- Highly proficient in C/C++,Assembly
- Strong understanding of various communication protocols such as TCP/IP, UDP, RS232, SDI-12, Modbus.
- Ability to design experiments to test and/or confirm instrument function.
- Ability to collect, process and present data using software programs.
- Multi-tasking and analytical skills.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.