Intermediate Web & Application Software DeveloperEngineering | Mississauga, Canada, Canada
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: The ideal candidate will do development and help guide architecture on website and desktop software development projects as part of a cross-functional, remote Agile team, targeting different application layers our pipeline inspection and monitoring technologies. The initial, six-month, project will involve the update of a number of .NET Windows services and websites to prepare them for on-premises deployment using Docker for Windows. This will be followed by smaller projects to enhance legacy .NET desktop applications and websites, with greenfield projects scheduled for 2022.
The long-term roadmap for the group requires a versatile candidate who is willing to adapt to different programming languages and software environments. Projects will be diverse and will include desktop applications, back-end services, REST APIs, and websites in .NET as well as Java, Node.js, and AngularJS. Cloud environments will include both AWS and Azure.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- .NET full-stack software development including desktop applications, Windows services, REST APIs, and website development
- Collaboration with the development team in determining and implementing software / solution architecture and database design
- Following standard development processes using Git source control and Git-flow, accompanied by submission and review of pull requests
- Participation in all standard Scrum/Kanban ceremonies or reviews as the project requires
- Writing unit tests
- Estimation of User Story complexity
- Performing technical spikes to research new technologies
- Providing developer-level application support for new and legacy applications and websites
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- 5+ years of relevant experience in software development is required, inclusive of full-stack development and testing
- Proven experience with .NET application development is desired; please showcase your skills with examples, if possible, we would love to see what you can do
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field is preferred, but not required
- The following would be an asset:
- Experience with Atlassian tools such as Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket
- Familiarly with continuous integration tools, ideally Bitbucket Pipelines
- Web UI development experience in .NET using Blazor
- Web development experience using Java and the Spring framework
- Development using ESRI ArcGIS Experience
- A high-energy, self-motivated, results oriented individual capable of managing multiple priorities
- Flexibility to work on different levels of the application architecture using the best languages and tools for the project
- Strong technical, communication, and inter-personal capabilities
- Ability to solve complex problems
- Learns new concepts quickly and autonomously
- Has continuous improvement mindset, eager to solve complex problems
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend, and move about the facility
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.