Field Operator 2Operations | Salt Lake City, UT, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
The Role: The position of Field Operator is responsible for supporting the delivery, installation and operation of Xylem equipment on Xylem Service Center sites and/or customer job sites. The Field Operator will maintain a clean and orderly work site environment to enable safe and efficient movement of workers and motorized equipment throughout the site.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
Installation & Operation
- Travel locally to mobilize/demobilize small pump systems on customer job sites.
- Operate fusion machine to build HDPE (high-density polyethylene) pipelines on customer site to connect the pumping system
- Work independently or as part of a crew to install and dismantle pumping systems and pipelines on customer job sites.
- Review preliminary contracts to ensure all materials needed are identified and available.
- Prepare electronic work orders.
- Understand and explain priming systems, options, and FST systems
- Perform vacuum checks on installed pumping systems.
- Perform proper sequencing to break down pump systems and pipelines to avoid spills and/or contamination to surrounding work area. Properly flush systems.
- Safely utilize chain saws and other hand tools to properly cut and break down pipelines. Understand how and where to cut pipe to avoid spills, damage and excessive scrapping.
- Thoroughly inspect and evaluate condition of pipe, hose and fittings upon dismantling.
- Prepare Bill of Ladings (BOLs) to load out equipment from job site.
Delivery & Yard Maintenance
- Ensure yard and loading areas are clear of debris and trash; accessories and equipment are organized and easy to access.
- Identify all items to be delivered or picked up with customer to ensure completeness and accuracy. Perform visual inspection of equipment being picked up and note any damage. Obtain customer’s signature on appropriate paperwork.
- Utilize motorized equipment handling machinery to safely load equipment on and off trucks and trailers.
- Secure all items loaded on the truck for safe over-the-road travel in accordance with Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration (FMCSA), Federal Department of Transportation and local Department of Transportation guidelines.
- Follow all safety processes and procedures and maintain a ‘Safety First’ approach when completing daily work tasks. Complete a Job Safety Assessment before beginning any job on a customer site. Ensure compliance with all Personal Protective Equipment requirements.\
- Perform basic mechanical functions, such are Off Rent Inspections and basic maintenance on equipment.
Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Ability to follow directions and work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work flexible hours and be in on call rotation in order to respond to customer emergencies
- Ability to read, write legibly and communicate effective with co-workers, supervisors/managers and customers both verbally and in writing
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to safely operate diesel powered hydraulic lifting equipment, i.e., forklifts, front-end loaders, tow motors, telehandlers, etc. a plus
- Mechanical aptitude with ability to diagnose and repair simple mechanical issues
- Operating a F-350 or a F-150/F-250 in conjunction with towing various trailers
Education and or/Experience:
- High school or general equivalency degree
- One to two years’ experience in the construction industry preferred
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record; MUST be willing to obtain CDL within first 6 months of employment. Existing CDL holders preferred
- Prior experience operating heavy industrial equipment such as telehandlers, skid steers, etc., preferred
- Prior experience fusing HDPE pipe ranging from 2 inch to 48 inches a plus
Specialized Knowledge Required
- Department of Transportation Medical card
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Heavy lifting (up to 50 pounds)
- Full range of physical motions (standing, walking, bending, stooping, lifting, twisting, kneeling, climbing) associated with general labor work continually throughout 8 hours
- Shop environment: intermittent exposure to all outdoor weather conditions; intermittent exposure to shop noise and fumes all within limits of OSHA standards
- Manufacturing environment: may be exposed to loud noises, changing temperatures, machinery with moving parts and various materials
- Extended hours as needed (weekends, overtime and on-call rotations)
- Travel as required to fulfill the duties listed above or as required by the Company
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.