Senior Systems Engineer (Remote)Engineering | Boise, ID, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Senior Systems Automation Engineer to join the data center operations team. As a member of the data center operations team, you will have support responsibilities for operational software, servers and infrastructure in our Private Cloud Data Centers. You will work with a team of highly skilled Engineers, with an emphasis on Linux, automation and orchestration technologies. Ideal candidates will have a positive attitude, passion for technology, and system support skills.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Lead and mentor team members and peer teams in using automation tools to drive initiatives related to Infrastructure as Code and orchestration.
- Support and maintenance of enterprise-grade operational applications, such as Red Hat Satellite Server, Ansible AWX/Tower, and Red Hat Directory Services.
- Plan, design, setup, and troubleshoot operating systems and systems management software, including OS patching of Linux/Unix based technologies and applications.
- Deploy Linux environments using Infrastructure as Code concepts, tools and processes.
- Setup, configure and maintain Disaster Recovery requirements; participate in DR drills.
- Provide guidance and implement standards to efficiently manage solutions for a complex, multi-data center environment where stability, performance and recovery times are critical.
- Monitor and troubleshoot Linux and Unix-based OS issues in a virtualized environment.
- Work closely with Security Operations to maintain enterprise cybersecurity policies.
- Travel periodically to work in domestic and international data centers.
- Collaborate with peers in other departments to resolve problems.
- Participate in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities.
- Document processes and workflows.
- Participate in paid On Call rotation.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems or equivalent work experience.
- 4+ years of relevant experience supporting enterprise-grade applications and infrastructure.
- 4+ years’ experience with Ansible or similar configuration tool (ie. Puppet, Chef).
- 2+ years’ experience with Git or similar source control tool.
- 2+ years’ experience with Terraform or similar infrastructure deployment tool.
- Deep-level knowledge and skills troubleshooting Linux-based OS and applications such as RHEL, AWX, RHDS, etc.
- Experience supporting production workloads in an enterprise Linux environment.
- Experience with automation and IaaS tools such as Ansible and Terraform.
- Experience with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GitLab or Bitbucket Pipelines.
- Experience with programming languages such as Python or a similar script language (PowerShell, Perl, Ruby, Bash).
- Experience with Git based source control tools.
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Datadog, Nagios, or Solarwinds.
- Expert-level knowledge and skills troubleshooting Linux-based OS and applications such as RHEL, AWX, RHDS, etc.
- Working knowledge and experience with Docker, Kubernetes or similar technologies in a production environment.
- Experience using common Microsoft Office tools to review, create and update reports.
- Excellent communication, prioritization, and analytical skills; demonstrated ability to manage time across multiple projects.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Ability to travel (US and Canada) up to 10%.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Industry-specific certifications are preferred. Examples include but not limited to RHCE, RHCS in Developing Automation with Ansible Automation Platform, and RHCS in Advanced Automation: Ansible Best Practices.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This is a fully remote position but will require occasional travel to the US and Canada for meetings or support of our physical data centers if required.
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility.
- May be required to lift up to 35 lbs.
The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for the applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $125,000 to $160,000 plus bonus. At Xylem, it is not typical for an individual to start at the top end of the range for the role however compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. We offer a generous benefit package, including Medical, Dental, Vision plans, 401(k) with company contribution, paid time off, paid parental leave and tuition reimbursement.