Manufacturing Process EngineerEngineering | Yellow Springs, OH, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: This position is responsible for improving existing product processes, manufacturing assembly equipment and test equipment. This role will utilize Engineering, Lean and Six Sigma tools to enhance product quality, to reduce product cycle times, to remove scrap, to improve first pass yields, to reduce material and labor costs, to mistake-proof processes, to implement new manufacturing technologies and to improve the overall efficiency of our production cells.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Provide daily engineering support to production through the SQDIPE methodology; where we monitor Safety, Quality, Delivery, Inventory, Productivity, and Engagement for the benefit of our internal and external customers.
- Develop manufacturing assembly and test processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; conferring with equipment vendors. Develop tools, jigs and fixtures as required for the process.
- Train Operations associates on improved processes as well as updated equipment. Develop and document troubleshooting routines as required.
- Drive the improvement of manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning work flow, space requirements, and equipment layout.
- Collaborate effectively with technicians, Quality engineers, Product engineers, Purchasing agents, Schedulers and Operations associates to solve product and manufacturing issues. Demonstrate the ability to work effectively in a team.
- Lead and participate in Kaizen events, Lean / Six Sigma projects and productivity improvement projects as required.
- Perform root cause analysis (RCA) on failed parts or products. Sources of failed or rejected product will include production (as Scrap/Rework), external customers (as Defective Parts Delivered or Warranty Returns) or suppliers (as rejected material in the Material Review Board).
- Develop test methods and/or test set-ups to evaluate failed parts or products as required.
- Implement corrective actions, design or process improvements, or equipment improvements via Process Change Notice and/or Engineering Change.
- Monitor and improve production First Pass Yields for all areas supported.
- Perform reactive maintenance on tools, fixtures and equipment as needed. This includes the replacement, modification or procurement of such devices including procurement of spare parts.
- Perform tasks associated with process validations for new assembly or test processes as required.
- Respond to requests for technical assistance in all manufacturing areas.
- Other responsibilities as directed.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Manufacturing or Industrial Engineering.
- +3 years experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel required).
- Clear understanding of technical information, including schematics and engineering drawings, including technical writing for work procedures
- Strong electrical and mechanical skills.
- Must be able to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively in an unstructured environment.
- Troubleshooting skills.
- Knowledge of assembly techniques
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing concepts
- CAD software experience or SolidWorks knowledge
- Self starter – takes initiative to create and implement plans
- Detail and team oriented.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing to individuals and groups with a variety of personality types and levels of the organization as well as with outside customers.
- Willingness and ability to listen effectively to understand problems and ideas conveyed by technical and non-technical personnel
- Professional image projection to customers and vendors
- Knowledge of safe work practices
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, Working Parents Networks and Non-Native English Speakers and Allies.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs. from floor to waist level on a regular basis
- Manufacturing/production work areas
- Forty-hour to Forty five hour week with occasional extra time required to meet business needs.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.