Applications Manager, Xylem Laboratory Solutions, AmericasProduct Management | Yellow Springs, OH, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: The Applications Manger’s primary role will be as a source of laboratory product and applications expertise for our customers, sales team, R&D, and broader business stakeholders. The goal will be to foster understanding of the unique value that our instruments can offer through training and generation of high-quality marketing content. As part of our product and marketing team, reporting to the Product Segment Manager in Marketing, he or she will manage two direct reports to form a highly productive team that acts as our market-facing, respected panel of experts for Xylem’s Laboratory Solutions in the Americas.
This is an ideal mid-career position for that unique scientist who has a commercial instinct but doesn’t want to stray too far from the bench, and who loves to educate others about their craft. A passion for the environment and the work Xylem’s customers do is a must.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Establish a method development and training laboratory (MDTL) at our Yellow Springs, OH facility.
- Within the MDTL work with the marketing team to build a virtual demonstration capability.
- Extend that virtual demonstration capability to our laboratories in College Station, Texas, working with two direct reports at that site.
- Standardize and harmonize the team’s processes for the development and validation of Xylem Laboratory Solutions Methods.
- Lead the Applications Team in the development and delivery of a prioritized list of methods and application notes, which are a derived from the Lab Solutions Segment’s marketing plan and growth strategy.
- Standardize a beta testing program to support New Product Development (NPD) and product enhancements.
- Support our product managers, customers and sales associates with:
- Support our customers, field service engineers, technical support and technical sales specialists:
- Support New Product Development and Sustaining Engineering:
- Support marketing and communication specialists:
- Contribute to the technical outlook and product roadmaps for Xylem Laboratory Solutions, leveraging one’s industry expertise and understanding of new technologies and developments to guide our future.
- Liaise with other experts across Xylem to explore unique, collaborative opportunities and solutions.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities, all safety training and bring an attitude of Continuous Improvement to the role.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- The ideal candidate will have an advanced degree in a scientific or engineering discipline, or a Bachelor’s Degree with at least 5 years of experience.
- Direct experience in the application of USEPA, USGS, ASTM, NIST, ISO and/or other globally relevant methods. GLP/GMP experience is a plus.
- Hands-on experience with at least two instruments from YSI, OIA, WTW, SIA, Gerhardt or a direct competitor’s product lines. Examples include Automated Chemistry Analyzers (ACA) and autodilutors; GC/MS detectors, concentrators or autosamplers; in-line process or laboratory TOC analyzers; benchtop, sensor-based meters like turbidimeters and dissolved oxygen probes; complex sample preparatory equipment like Soxhlet extractors and digestors; bioprocessing equipment like fermenters and bioreactors with in-line probes and metabolic analyzers (such as YSI’s 2900 platform); manual and automated titrators.
- A record of publication in peer-reviewed literature, trade publications or conference proceedings.
- At least 1 year of experience working in a commercial, non-academic laboratory.
- Fluent in English, and fluency in at least one other language is a plus.
- Able to travel up to 25% during peak times (1 week per month), to attend customer trainings, conferences, regional or international sales meetings, trainings with product managers, etc.
- International travel up to 1-2 times per year (must have Passport).
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, Working Parents Networks and Non-Native English Speakers and Allies.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- The home laboratory for this candidate will be in Yellow Springs, Ohio. Consideration may be given to strong candidates who can work in College Station, TX.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours, with at least 50% of that time spent on site in/around the laboratory.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.