Sr. Firmware EngineerEngineering | Morrisville, NC (RTP), United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots.
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative, and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved, and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration, and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative, and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved, and re-used.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Motivated, curious, self-starting professional to contribute and grow as a part of our team
- Ability to work collaboratively within a global team environment of engineers to meet exacting requirements with high quality standards.
- Develop firmware responsible for gas, water, and electricity metering in commercial and industrial applications.
- Develop firmware responsible for RF, optical, mag-coupled, and tethered communications
- Integrate solid state metrology and/or sensors (e.g. ultrasonic, electromagnetic) used within metering products.
- Collaborate with hardware, mechanical and product engineers to ensure high quality, factory-ready products that adhere to schedule, cost, and performance requirements.
- Collaborate with other development and test teams (e.g. handheld tools, headend systems, analytics) to ensure products work flawlessly within Sensus solutions and with 3rd party offerings.
- Collaborate with production teams (e.g. manufacturing test, supply chain) to ensure products are produced with high quality, value, and efficiency.
- Assist with microcontroller pin assignment, design calculations, analog and digital circuit design, and PCB schematics/layouts.
- Assist quality assurance and marketing teams in investigating and analyzing defective product returned from customers
- Develop PC-based tools in (xUnit, Python, Ruby, C#) for product testing and demonstration, and analysis of metrology and product performance data.
- Develop documentation required for collaboration, sustainability, and internal processes.
- Interface with third-party companies to enable integration of their technologies with the Sensus portfolio of products.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- At least 3 years of embedded OS and/or embedded systems development experience.
- Experience writing C and assembly language code for micro-controllers in resource-limited situations (memory, power, and performance).
- Ability to apply complex mathematical concepts to solve real-world problems.
- In-depth understanding of fixed-point arithmetic issues and implementation techniques.
- Experience with Version Control Systems (e.g. Git)
- Proficiency analyzing code execution using a debugger.
- Experience with common test equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers and spectrum analyzers.
- Experience in writing Unit Test Plans
- Experience with utility metering products
- Experience tuning software for power consumption and memory for optimal performance.
- Knowledge of low power / battery operated devices (e.g. proper usage of microcontroller sleep states).
- Experience developing and debugging software on MSP430 or ARM Cortex-M3, M4 architectures.
- Experience in writing requirement documents and functional specifications.
- Experience with Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
- Application of Test-Driven Design (TDD).
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.