Senior Software Developer / .NETEngineering | Mississauga, Canada, Canada
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: The ideal candidate will work on website and desktop software development projects as part of a cross-functional, remote Agile team. The initial six-month project will involve the update of a number of .NET Windows services and websites to prepare them for on-premises deployment using Docker for Windows. This will be followed by smaller projects to enhance legacy .NET desktop applications and websites, with greenfield projects.
The long-term roadmap for the group requires a versatile candidate who is willing to adapt to different programming languages and software environments. Projects will be diverse and will include desktop applications, back-end services, REST APIs, and websites in .NET as well as Java, Node.js, and AngularJS. Cloud environments will include both AWS and Azure.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- .NET full-stack software development including desktop application, Windows service, REST API, and front-end website development
- Full-stack website development in Node.js, Java and AngularJS based on competency and future project requirements
- Writing unit tests
- Submitting and reviewing pull requests
- Participation in all standard Scrum ceremonies or Kanban reviews as the project requires
- User Story complexity estimation
- Performing technical spikes to research new technologies
- Database design
- Providing developer-level application support for legacy Windows applications and websites
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering is required
- 4+ years of experience in software development
- Ideally 3+ years experience with .NET desktop application or website development
- Ideally 1+ year experience in Java website development
- Experience in AWS/Azure cloud development including lambda functions, S3/Blob, and cloud databases
- Experience writing unit tests, in TDD or 80% code-coverage scenarios
- Experience working on a cross-functional Scrum team employing paired programming and pull-requests is a necessity.
- A high-energy, self-motivated, results oriented individual
- Flexibility to work on different levels of the application architecture using the best languages and tools for the project
- Strong technical, communication, and inter-personal capabilities
- Learns new concepts quickly and autonomously
- Has continuous improvement mindset; keen to solve complex problems
- Working knowledge of SCSS
- Experience with Atlassian tools such as Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket
- Familiarly with continuous integration tools, ideally Bitbucket Pipelines
- Web UI development experience in .NET using Blazor
- Web development experience using Java and the Spring framework
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.