OperatorOperations | New Orleans, LA, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots.
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
As an Operator one will be responsible for job safety, accurate and professional operation and maintenance of valves and fire hydrants. The Operator will follow written procedures for assessing, operating, maintaining and testing of valves and fire hydrants. The Operator will also become familiar with the duties of the Crew Chief in order to provide advancement opportunities within the organization.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Ensure safe operations in the field
- Traffic safety
- Personal safety
- Equipment operations safety
- Confined space safety
- Participate in weekly safety meeting
Valve and Hydrant Operations
- Understand and follow all operating procedures
- Operate and test valves and hydrants
- Understand the implications of operations
- Understand water system dynamics
- Inform crew chief whenever an abnormal situation arises
Valve and Hydrant Maintenance and Testing
- Understand and follow all maintenance and testing procedures
- Maintain and test valves and hydrants
- Understand the mechanical construction of valves and hydrants
- Call for assistance whenever an abnormal situation arises
- Be available for emergency response
- Execute maintenance on all equipment
- Keep all equipment clean
- Responsible for daily truck inspection
On call assistance
- Provide on call assistance in order to respond to customer emergencies
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum 3 years of mechanical experience
- DOT Certification
- Safe and cautious driver with a valid driver’s license
- Ability to understand, read, and write English
- Ability to perform basic math skills
- Availability to work overtime, any shift, weekends and holidays if needed
- Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills
- Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views
- Completes work in a timely manner
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Be able to stand on feet for a prolonged amount of time
- May need to bend, lift, carry, and stretch to perform duties
- Continually required to use hands and fingers and reach with arms
- Frequently required to lift up to 50 lbs.
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Exposed to outdoor weather conditions (heat, cold, rain).
- Travel up to 75%.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.