Intern - Mechanical Engineer - Summer 2022College-University Recruiting | Morrisville, NC (RTP), United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: Xylem is seeking Intern candidates with a Mechanical Engineering background to join our team. As a member of the Mechanical Engineering Team, the incumbent will be responsible for the development and ongoing engineering support of the Xylem portfolio. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to succeed in a fast paced, fluid environment, while ensuring that project initiatives are met. If you are excited and passionate to work on state-of-the art technology trends, we want to hear from you!
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Some exposure with common product manufacturing processes such as hot plate welding, heat staking, ultrasonic welding, potting and parylene coating Solid understanding of analog and digital circuitry
- Some experience with 3D CAD modeling software and data management tools; Creo (Pro Engineer) and Windchill preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing, orally with both local and remote sites
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment of engineers to meet aggressive goals and high quality standards
- Demonstrated experience working with cross functional teams
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Attending an accredited University studying toward a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Interested in conducting design reviews and working within cross-functional teams including electrical, software, firmware, manufacturing, marketing and supply chain.
- Exposure to engineering tools such as tolerance analysis, FEA and 3D CAD modeling.
- Desire and ability to learn new tools, languages and design techniques.
- A strong sense of ownership and drive
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer focus
- Experience with product testing and root cause analysis.
- Familiar with regulatory agency requirements such as ANSI, AWWA, UL
- Exposure to a fast paced team environment where you have interfaced regularly with electrical, back-end software, mechanical and system test engineers on system level design development.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.