Embedded Software EngineerEngineering | Cambridge, UK, United Kingdom
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
Xylem has a vacancy in its world class Power Electronics Centre of Excellence (PECOE) in Cambridge. We are designing ground-breaking products, being supported by the resources of a global company with over 17,000 employees world-wide.
The primary focus of this Centre is to design a range of custom motor drives (variable frequency) to surpass efficiency, usability and reliability requirements for a wide range of water applications. With one of the locations being a world-class Cambridge-based consultancy, Sentec, we are supported by excellent facilities and superb access to its scientific experience and expertise whilst maintaining our constant focus on the design of motor drives.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to be part of a small group of engineers working on embedded motor controllers and related systems. Our software engineering work spans everything from embedded low level interrupts and device driver code up to PC-based GUI and test harness development – with lots of engineering in between for motor efficiency, product safety and certification, and connected HMI devices and comms.
We are focused on bringing state of the art VFD technology to multiple Xylem products. We develop software using agile methodology, and innovation is at the core of what we do. As a software engineer you will be required to write high quality embedded software and help us to improve our code base. The ability to work across all stages of product development is necessary, from reading circuit schematics to writing automated test software.
The PECOE group has a diverse background and is distributed across 3 continents (+/- 5 hours). We have a relaxed work environment, allowing new ideas and solutions to flourish whilst maintaining high standards in order to meet our client’s needs and deadlines. This position requires laboratory work, and therefore you will have a good engineering degree and be willing to commute to Cambridge, UK.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Good knowledge of embedded C and motor control with at least 3 years of professional experience
- Thorough understanding of software development processes
- Bare metal programming experience and deep understanding of microcontrollers
- Engineering Degree and a good track record of developing software and systems
- Engineering skills – lab work, measurements, data analysis
- Experience with version control systems such as Git and Subversion
- Experience withpower electronics considered a great advantage
- Knowledge of one or more high level programming language (C#, Python, Ruby, Java or others) considered an advantage
- Experience of several communication protocols considered an advantage
- Experience with product safety and software reliability engineering considered an advantage
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office or site laboratory setting
- Estimated 30% travel requirement
- Standard weekly job hours: 37.5 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.