Field Service EngineerEngineering | Morton Grove, IL, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: The Field Service Engineer will be responsible for providing specific technical direction and advisory services to the onsite contractors, in-house engineering, in-house operations, and in-house warranty/sales functions of Xylem Operations. Activities include providing technical support for product installations, visiting installation sites, maintaining customer relations, and managing cross functional meetings to meet customer needs. The role will also assist in tear downs of returned product, evaluation of failures, and recommendations of solutions.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- On-site troubleshooting of products, both new and aftermarket, to ensure customer requirements and specifications are met or exceeded.
- Manage projects for aftermarket (repairs) to ensure timely completion of design related tasks. This includes proper coordination and interaction with Operations, Product Management, and Warranty in execution as required.
- Perform engineering calculations and analysis as needed.
- Serve as technical consultant on design and manufacturing issues for both new and aftermarket products.
- Coordinate in-house testing of products for aftermarket projects in cooperation with Operations.
- Interface with agents/customers/contractors on a variety of issues from service to installation.
- Perform field service on products for customers and complete field service assignments as required.
- Investigate field requirements in terms of design application, and failures for various conditions and determine solutions for customers.
- The Field Service Engineer will report to the Sustaining Engineering Manager or designee.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- B.S. Degree in Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience
- General knowledge of engineering and manufacturing policies and operations
- Able to travel both domestically and internationally up to 80%
- Field service experience or design engineering experience.
- Experience troubleshooting fluid systems, pumps (HVAC, Industrial, or other)
- Experience assembling rotating equipment
- Experience managing customer relations, and conduct site visits
- Proficient in managing cross functional meetings to update stakeholders on customer needs.
- Demonstrated ability to solve difficult problems
- Understanding of engineering standards, principles and theories
- Excellent collaborative interpersonal skills, ability to interface and communicate well with numerous stakeholders
- Develop and write comprehensive technical reports on the assessment of pump repairs and field service calls.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering and 3-5 years of relevant experience in a product, project, or support engineer role with a wide spectrum of processes for a manufacturer.
- Familiar with NFPA standard for the installation of stationary pumps for fire protection.
- Familiar with Hydraulic Institute standards.
- Strong Experience with electro-mechanical devices and components.
- Familiar with fluid applications, pressure containing vessel design, and valves.
- 3D CAD software expertize (Pro/E, Creo - preferred).
- Experience working with team members in multiple countries and across several time zones.
- Experience with residential and commercial building HVAC processes and equipment.
- Exposure working with regulatory/listing agencies such as UL, FM, CSA, and CE mark
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, Working Parents Networks and Non-Native English Speakers and Allies.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- The ability to physically maneuver around and spend significant durations in facilities where pumps are installed or manufactured.
- The ability to lift and carry fifty pounds of weight.
- The ability to work from ladders and heights.
- Office environment
- Manufacturing facility that requires working while standing and from ladders/heights. Working with overhead loads, large components, and large tools.
- Job sites, both new and rehabilitated, utilizing pumps and pumping equipment including construction site environments.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.