Application EngineerSales | Helena, MT, United States
We’re Hiring for an Application Engineer!
If you are excited and passionate about helping #LetsSolveWater, consider joining our team today! Xylem, Inc. is a leading global water technology company servicing more than 150 countries and is dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues. We are looking for individuals to join our mission by exceeding customer expectations through smart sustainable solutions. At Xylem, you will have the opportunity to solve water by participating in our paid Volunteer Program, Xylem Watermark!
THE ROLE: The Application Engineer will be responsible for pre-sales and/or post-sales technical support for the development and implementation of complex products, applications, and solutions. This individual will use in-depth product knowledge to provide technical expertise to sales staff and customers through sales presentations and product demonstrations. We offer a full benefits package to include Flexible Time Off (FTO) for salaried positions, health, dental, vision, investment savings plan, and additional miscellaneous benefits.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Identify Consulting Need: Works closely with outside sales, internal colleagues, distributors, consulting engineers, or others to develop understanding of the consulting request. Partners closely with the requestor to information to better classify the need including level of technical involvement, expertise required, urgency, application, customer type, etc.
- Understand Challenge/ Scope Need: Works closely with the party who requested consultation to gain deeper understanding of request and scope the need. Understands technical questions to ask to ensure proper information is provided to meet consulting need.
- Research/Gather Data: Responsible for providing technical and product expertise, as well as researching and gathering data to understand how to meet the requestor's consulting need or solve the problem. Works closely with internal colleagues, subject matter experts, and technical and commercial resources to gather relevant data including technical/commercial implications of potential solutions, as well as history related to the customer or request.
- Complete the Need/Problem Solve: Responsible for meeting the requestor's consulting need or develop viable solution to requestor's problem. Typical problem solving could include turn-key or engineered-to-order system design, customer station design, custom accessory or ancillary equipment design support, training requests, engineering specification, or technical presentation and training development.
- Validate and Communicate Solution: Works closely with outside sales and internal colleagues to communicate and validate consulting need has been fulfilled or to present proposed solution. If requestor is not satisfied with outcome, the AE is responsible for further consultation. AE acts as advocate and advisor to ensure consulting need is met.
- Initial Tender/Spec/Job Details Review: Responsible for providing a initial, high level review of all technical documentation for a project including specifications, plans, drawings, etc. Provides technical expertise to assist opportunity with initial tender review. May participate in on-site job walk at customer site.
- Bid Prep: Acts as a technical consultant in efforts to prepare project bid. Provides product and application expertise, design support, technical drawing support, etc. Advises sales team on technical request and implications as it related to the project.
- Detailed Tender/Spec/Job Details Review: Responsible for providing a detailed review of all technical documentation for a project including specifications, plans, drawings, etc. Ensures proposal is feasible, technically viable, and profitable. Calls attention to any risk associated with the technical design of product offering or supporting equipment.
- Procure Quotes: Acts as a technical consultant in efforts to procure quotes. Provides design support for accessories and ancillary equipment, including third party buy-out items. Creates CAD drawings as necessary for quoting purposes.
- Review Bid: Acts as a technical consultant in efforts to prepare and review bid package.
- Get Testing Approval: Works closely with outside sales, operations, and others to obtain customer approval of any required testing. Provides technical expertise on testing questions or concerns. May serve as on-site consultant for customer witness testing. Understands Hydraulic Institute standards and acts as technical advisor for customer and internal colleagues to ensure appropriate testing is obtain and customer expectations are fulfilled.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
- Requires B.S. degree in Engineering
- 1-5+ years’ experience
At Xylem, we embrace diversity and strive to create avenues where employees feel valued and appreciated through our DE&I initiatives and Employee Resources Groups (ERG). Xylem is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action workplace. Xylem prohibits discrimination, harassment of any kind and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or sexual orientation (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, medical conditions or disability, genetic information, age, or other non-merit factors.
Join the global Xylem team today! Xylem is a team creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges through developing new technologies and services that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor, and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential, and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
Disclaimer: The information listed within this job description is designed to indicate the general nature of work expected for this position and shall not be viewed as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required in this position. Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and if requested, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job absent undue hardship. Xylem reserves the right to modify this job description or assign other duties to this position as needed.