Hydroinformatics EngineerEngineering | Any Location - Maryland, United States
We’re Hiring for a Hydroinformatics Engineer!
If you are excited and passionate about helping #LetsSolveWater, consider joining our team today! Xylem, Inc. is a leading global water technology company servicing more than 150 countries and is dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues. We are looking for individuals to join our mission by exceeding customer expectations through smart sustainable solutions. At Xylem, you will have the opportunity to solve water by participating in our paid Volunteer Program, Xylem Watermark!
THE ROLE: A Hydroinformatics Engineer is a multidisciplinary engineer with optimization and hydraulic modeling skills and a passion for using data to improve urban watershed environmental and societal impact. This position is focused on the development and implementation of algorithms and analytics for operational optimization of drinking water distribution and transmission systems, as well as the interactions between these systems through the use of real time data, hydraulic modelling, machine learning and advanced control systems. This position is focused primarily on North American drinking water utility markets.
This position offers the opportunity to join Xylem’s decision intelligence solutions technology team in their endeavor to revolutionize the ways water utilities solve age-old infrastructure problems. In today’s rapidly changing digital solutions landscape, drinking water utilities are trusting Xylem to lead them in their smart water journey; earning this trust begins with excellent software products, and delivery processes that embody the highest levels of technical integrity. The successful candidate will demonstrate how past experiences and education, combined with a passion for improving our industry through digital services, will lead to a highly motivated drinking water project delivery team focused on client success.
We offer a full benefits package to include Flexible Time Off (FTO) for salaried positions, health, dental, vision, investment savings plan, and additional miscellaneous benefits.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Act as the subject matter expert to configure, calibrate and deploy digital twin simulation services for optimizing the operation of drinking water infrastructure.
- Solve complicated, open-ended water resources problems by applying optimization techniques and innovative data analytics over sensor data and hydraulic models.
- Communicate and collaborate with teams of engineers and decision makers to define problems, strategize solution approaches, and bring solutions to implementation.
- Develop and manage large datasets. Communicate summaries and conclusions drawn from data in clear and concise ways, visually and verbally.
- Translate data analytics into language understood by engineers and data analysts, both in the practitioner and research space
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil/Environmental/Chemical/Mechanical Engineering; preference given to those with advanced technical degrees or training.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in developing, calibrating, and applying hydraulic and water quality network models to complex water utility transmission and distribution systems, especially to address operational goals
- Experience with modern data science workflows for data access and filtering, geospatial analysis, model parameter estimation, systems optimization, and building and running hydraulic network simulation models
- Previous experience programming in software languages such as Python, R, C, MATLAB, etc.
- Previous experience developing advanced geospatial information system (GIS) data analysis, using tools such as Python-GeoPandas, ESRI’s Arc GIS and ArcPy, or QGIS’s programming interface.
- Practical knowledge of water network operational data and SCADA systems
- Fluent in English.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and eager to develop new skills
- A creative mind and hands-on problem-solving abilities
- Working knowledge of Agile Methodology and Jira
- Practical knowledge of modern data science methods for hydraulic and water quality network model development
- Previous practical experience working in a water utility, organization, or setting
At Xylem, we embrace diversity and strive to create avenues where employees feel valued and appreciated through our DE&I initiatives and Employee Resources Groups (ERG). Xylem is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action workplace. Xylem prohibits discrimination, harassment of any kind and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or sexual orientation (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, medical conditions or disability, genetic information, age, or other non-merit factors.
Join the global Xylem team today! Xylem is a team creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges through developing new technologies and services that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor, and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential, and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
Disclaimer: The information listed within this job description is designed to indicate the general nature of work expected for this position and shall not be viewed as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required in this position. Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and if requested, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job absent undue hardship. Xylem reserves the right to modify this job description or assign other duties to this position as needed.