Software Database EngineerEngineering | Raleigh, NC, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Sensus, a Xylem brand, seeks to hire a Software Database Engineer, as a member of the Software Engineering Team. You will be responsible for developing, testing, improving and maintaining new and existing databases to help support of Advanced Meter Infrastructure (AMI) headend system. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to succeed in a fast paced, fluid environment, while ensuring that project initiatives are met. If you are excited and passionate to work on state-of-the art technology trends we want to hear from you!
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with other development teams to ensure products work flawlessly within Sensus solutions and with 3rd party offerings
- Takes great personal pride in building robust modular software
- Has strong sense of ownership and drive
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced agile environment
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Has strong customer focus
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years of experience in database design, coding, and documentation
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing, orally with both local and remote sites
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment of engineers to meet aggressive goals and high-quality standards
- Demonstrated experience working with cross functional teams
- Support database objects residing in Microsoft Sql Server and Oracle databases
- Design, create, modify and remove database objects (tables, views, indexes, keys, stored procedures, functions, DB links, etc.) to support development projects
- Work with Application Development Teams, Project, Testing, and Release Managers, Architects to support fixes, enhancements, and projects
- Efficiently write schema and data manipulation as part of software upgrades
- Performance review and tuning on pending, new and, production database objects
- Assist other developers with SQL questions as needed
- Good to have database administration skills – performance tuning, job monitoring, and security management
- Object-oriented design and coding skills (Java, C#, and/or C++), preferably on a UNIX or Linux platform developing Systems software
- Solid understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Online distributed systems, real-time systems, platform infrastructure design and implementation
- Middleware software solutions design, development and integration
- Multi-threaded/concurrent application development in large scale high availability systems
- Code reviews and Unit testing
- Continuous integration and deployment
- Mission critical services or services operating in a 24x7 environment
- Agile development processes
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, Working Parents Networks and Non-Native English Speakers and Allies.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for the applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $120,000 - $140,000. At Xylem, it is not typical for an individual to start at the top end of the range for the role however compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. We offer a generous benefit package, including Medical, Dental, Vision plans, 401(k) with company contribution, paid time off, paid parental leave and tuition reimbursement.