Systems EngineerEngineering | Basingstoke, UK, United Kingdom
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Systems Engineer is a key part of the Service Operations team who provide 3rd line technical support for our FlexNet Smart Metering solutions deployed in the UK and Europe for Energy and Water Utility customers.
The Service Operations team works with processes that follow ITIL framework methodology to deliver high quality service to our customers and partners. The Systems Engineer will need to be comfortable with working within service driven processes to strict SLAs and demonstrate that they can prioritise their work accordingly.
This role works closely with the Customer Support team in the UK and also with the 4th line support team, firmware and software R&D teams based in the US.
The capability to obtain a BS7858 background check is essential for the role to ensure customer personal data is appropriately protected.
- Technical support for infrastructure platforms used in development, test and troubleshooting of Sensus software applications.
- Work closely with the Service Desk to understand ticket severity and prioritise accordingly
- Troubleshoot incidents and provide resolution in accordance departmental processes including change control.
- Escalate to third party suppliers as required, providing details of initial analysis and diagnostics already undertaken
- Undertake preventative maintenance activities including security patching, backups, firmware upgrades.
- Carry out OS, Application and Hardware upgrades in support of clearly identified business needs.
- Perform root cause analysis of problems and document findings in technical reports to be provided to Sensus Management Team.
- Provide feedback into continual improvement of Service Operations practices and processes
- Participate in an on-call rota to provide out-of-hours support.
- Maintain Engineering knowledge base articles and actively participate in knowledge sharing within the Service Operations team.
- Test and clearly document all changes to datacentre infrastructure as required the change control process.
- Represent Data Centre engineering team at weekly/adhoc change advisory board (CAB) meetings when required.
- 4+ years’ experience of infrastructure support
- Demonstrable high integrity and ethical standards including commitment to protection of personal information.
- Excellent knowledge of supporting VMWare infrastructure hosting Redhat and Windows guests
- Ability to fault find and diagnose diverse interconnected enterprise systems
- Personal drive and ability to pick-up and use new skills quickly
- Sound understanding of Networking fundamentals TCP/IP, Routing, Switching.
- Experience of configuration/integration of LDAP, Active Directory and two-factor authentication services.
- Firewall administration experience, preferably Fortinet or Palo Alto.
- Background of working within ITIL aligned environment.
- Solid appreciation of cybersecurity risk and mitigation measures.
- Use of source code/configuration repositories Git, SVN, etc.
- Appreciation of virtualisation and containerisation software such as VMWare, Docker and/or Kubernetes.
- Dell compute, storage and networking experience desirable.
- Formal security certifications such as CISM/CISSP advantageous.