Mechanical EngineerEngineering | Morton Grove, IL, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: The Mechanical Engineer I will perform the design & development of industrial, HVAC & fire pumping systems, including pumps, valves, piping, & controls. The ME I utilizes standard digitizing and CAD design techniques, skills, design rules & specifications to prepare 2D/3D design models for tooling generation, perform mathematical calculations and prepare layouts, part specifications, renditions, variations & similar applications, related to sustaining engineering.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Design and development of specific market pumping systems.
- Design and engineer custom orders for industrial and commercial applications.
- Provide programming logic for bill of material generation through a configurator application.
- Provide engineering support, leadership, and technical responsibility for assigned projects.
- Work with engineering leadership, consulting engineers, project engineers, marketing, production, quality assurance, purchasing, and vendors to manage product improvement and cost reduction projects for globally sourced products.
- Supports and participates in the design, test, modification, fabrication and assembly of prototype components and systems.
- Support existing designs throughout the product lifecycle which will include product extensions, cost reductions and other product improvements.
- Acts as project manager for outsource partnerships.
- The ME I will report to the Sustaining Engineering Manager or designee.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering and 0 to 3 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- General knowledge of engineering and manufacturing policies and operations, including production control, quality control and electrical product or industrial engineering.
- Familiar with common manufacturing processes (casting, 3D models, patterns, machining, & stamping)
- Technical competency in areas relating to: motors, drives, pumping technology, electronic controls, business values, project management
- Demonstrate proficiency in tools such as Microsoft suite of tools, AutoCAD, Pro-E/CREO, PDMLink, Configured product
- Experience communicating goals, processes and procedures to subordinate engineers with various skill sets
- Articulate and skillful at creating information, written or otherwise
- Demonstrated ability to solve difficult problems
- Exhibits good analytical skills with ability to organize and implement engineering projects to detailed timelines and budgets
- Understanding of engineering standards, principles and theories
- Excellent collaborative interpersonal skills, ability to interface and communicate well with numerous stakeholders
- Willing to direct and receive direction from others
- Must have good multi-tasking skills and be flexible to shifting priorities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering and 3-5 years of relevant experience in a product, project, or support engineer role with a wide spectrum of processes for a manufacturer.
- Familiar with NFPA standard for the installation of stationary pumps for fire protection
- Strong Experience with electro-mechanical devices and components.
- Familiar with fluid applications, pressure containing vessel design, and valves.
- 3D CAD software expertise (Pro/E, Creo - preferred).
- Familiar with product lifecycle management software (Windchill - preferred).
- Experience working with team members in multiple countries and across several time zones.
- Working knowledge of MS Project.
- Experience with residential and commercial building HVAC processes and equipment.
- Exposure working with regulatory/listing agencies such as UL, FM, CSA, and CE mark
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- No special physical requirements.
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Standard office / manufacturing environment.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.