Hardware Test EngineerEngineering | Uniontown, PA, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: Sensus, a Xylem brand, seeks to hire a Hardware Test Engineer to develop test environments and execute test plans to determine the performance and reliability of Sensus products and systems. Products tested include Water, Gas, Automatic Meter Infrastructure (AMI) smart points and more.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Work closely with Research and Development teams to determine/predict component and system life in defined operating environments to ensure product reliability and extended operating life
- Develop test systems and fixtures for a diverse product portfolio and use them to execute product performance testing for firmware/hardware components and complete unit assemblies
- Perform, analyze, and report on metrology testing of Sensus products (i.e. water meters)
- Work with cross-functional teams to understand customer usage/expectations and use the data to continuously improve test and analysis practices (Voice of the Customer)
- Setup and perform a variety of product tests including stresses from temperature, humidity, packaged and unpackaged vibration, shock, drop and impact, material strength, endurance, salt fog, rain, dust, soil and water submersion tests
- Testing of products to N. American and international industry standards (i.e. AWWA)
- Use of Six Sigma techniques to define critical design parameters, support development of tests, and analyze performance data that will determine the impact on long-term product reliability and/or compliance performance
- Coordinate with external test-houses to conduct testing and analysis when necessary
- Facilitation or participation in DFMEA and design reviews of electrical/mechanical systems
- Develop and execute testing related to product failure troubleshooting
- Develop subassembly/system level reliability test plans (including resources needed, sample size, test time duration, test, and measurement methodology) and utilize test automation to improve efficiency/accuracy where applicable
- Analyze test data, test reports, and defect tracking items using Sensus SW tools
- Determine calculated MTBF/MTTF of critical subassemblies and systems and develop correlation with field return failure rates, demonstrated test results and drive product reliability improvement
- Utilization of statistical software tools (i.e. Minitab) as needed
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- BS/MS Degree (Electrical or Mechanical Engineering) or equivalent (combination of Associates Degree / military training or relevant work experience considered)
- Hands-on technical work experience desired
- 3+ years’ experience
- Expertise in electro-mechanical hardware testing over various environmental stresses (temperature, humidity, vibration, voltage, current) preferred
- Reliability hardware engineering background preferred
- Working knowledge of environmental testing equipment desired
- Experience with laboratory test equipment preferred (multi-meter, oscilloscope, etc.)
- Basic knowledge and ability to reference industry standards (Mil-Std-810; Telcordia/NEBS, ETSI, UL/CSA, ASTM, AWWA, IEC, EN and ANSI C12.1 and C12.20)
- Lean Six Sigma and Design for Six Sigma experience and Green/Black Belt certification preferred, but not required
- Test automation programming experience preferred, but not required (including C#, Java, or C++)
- Fluent usage of MS Office (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- A team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Regularly required to lift 20-25lbs
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements
- Lab: Standard lab environment; test equipment and fixture development/utilization required; proper PPE, if needed, will be provided
- Focused on workplace safety; we operate within a “Safety First” philosophy and environment.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.