Field Technician 1Operations | Mississauga, Canada, Canada
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Field Technician or Field Engineer to join their Pure Technologies team. The Field Technician uses proprietary technology to collect data for the condition assessment of pipelines. This is a position that requires someone who is good with technology/mechanics, can problem solve, and is a team player. This position allows for substantial career growth and will develop knowledge of the current company technologies.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Consistently apply appropriate procedures and processes with minimal direction from others
- Operate tools and technology onsite under the supervision of qualified field technicians
- Prepare basic documentation, tools and equipment for mobilization to project sites
- Identify safety hazards and apply safe working practices to self and peers; keeps job site clean
- Actively participate and may lead onsite safety and planning meetings to review safety risks and areas of concern based on planning documentation and onsite observations
- Identify and troubleshoot simple technical issues, with support of qualified technicians
- Delegate basic/repeatable tasks to entry level technicians
- Empowered to raise observations/concerns and recognition to immediate team and leadership as required
- Focus on continuous improvement by consistently looking for ways to improve and promote quality, efficacy, and safety
- Complete daily timesheets and expense reports as required
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certifications:
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- 2 or 3-year diploma in Mechanical or Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent (engineering technologist)
- Up to 5 years of previous field experience with infrastructure or general construction projects
- Mechanically inclined and good with hand tools
- Experience with water utilities or municipalities a plus
- Proven technical/mechanical aptitude through previous work experience/education
- Proven ability to be well organized and punctual
- Dedicated team player committed to safe and successful operations for everyone involved
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings and/or maps and can translate to the field
- Proven ability to complete assigned work in a timely manner with quality results
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Availability to work overtime, weekends and holidays when needed
- Status in Canada: Permanent Resident or Canadian Citizen
- Up to 75% Travel within Canada. May be required to travel to the U.S. a few times a year in the future without impediment – i.e. needs a clean record (U.S. Work VISA not required at this moment)
- Must have a valid driver’s license; must have a reasonable driver’s record
- Exhibit objectivity and openness to others’ views
- Experience working directly with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work in confined space strongly desired; Confined Space certification is an asset
- Safety and CPR certification is a plus
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, Working Parents Networks and Non-Native English Speakers and Allies.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Must be able to do physical work with long hours in the field
- Be able to stand on feet for a prolonged amount of time
- May need to bend, lift, carry and stretch to perform duties
- Continually required to use hands and fingers and reach with arms
- Frequently required to lift up to 50 lbs
- Work requires ability to work outdoors in various weather, traffic and environmental conditions
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. (Will be listed on all positions in the United States)