Associate Application EngineerEngineering | Mokena, IL, United States
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire an Associate Applications Engineer. The role of an Associate Application Engineer is to provide Pre & Post Sales technical support for the development and implementation of complex products/applications/solutions.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Pre-Sales:Provides primarily pre-sales technical support for the development and implementation of complex products/applications/solutions. Uses in-depth product knowledge to provide technical expertise to sales staff and the customer through sales presentations and product demonstrations. Assists the sales staff in assessing potential application of company products to meet customer needs and may prepare detailed product specifications for the development and implementation of customer products/applications/solutions. May create detailed design and implementation specifications for complex products/applications/solutions. May build a mini-application based on customer requirements to demonstrate feasibility of the application, often requiring rapid prototyping and/or product demo for client. May provide consultation to prospective users and/or product capability assessment and validation.
- Identify Consulting Need: Works closely with outside sales, internal colleagues, distributors, consulting engineers, or others to develop understanding of the consulting request. Partners closely with the requestor to information to better classify the need including level of technical involvement, expertise required, urgency, application, customer type, etc.
- Understand Challenge/ Scope Need: Works closely with the party who requested consultation to gain deeper understanding of request and scope the need. Understands technical questions to ask to ensure proper information is provided in order to meet consulting need.
- Research/Gather Data: Responsible for providing technical and product expertise, as well as researching and gathering data in order to understand how to meet the requestor's consulting need or solve the problem. Works closely with internal colleagues, subject matter experts, and technical and commercial resources to gather relevant data including technical/commercial implications of potential solutions, as well as history related to the customer or request.
- Complete the Need/Problem Solve: Responsible for meeting the requestor's consulting need or develop viable solution to requestor's problem. Typical problem solving could include turn-key or engineered-to-order system design, customer station design, custom accessory or ancillary equipment design support, training requests, engineering specification, or technical presentation and training development.
- Validate and Communicate Solution: Works closely with outside sales and internal colleagues to communicate and validate consulting need has been fulfilled or to present proposed solution. If requestor is not satisfied with outcome, the AE is responsible for further consultation. AE acts as advocate and advisor to ensure consulting need is met.
- Initial Tender/Spec/Job Details Review: Responsible for providing an initial, high level review of all technical documentation for a project including specifications, plans, drawings, etc. Provides technical expertise to assist opportunity with initial tender review. May participate in on-site job walk at customer site.
- Bid Prep: Acts as a technical consultant in efforts to prepare project bid. Provides product and application expertise, design support, technical drawing support, etc. Advises sales team on technical request and implications as it related to the project.
- Detailed Tender/Spec/Job Details Review: Responsible for providing a detailed review of all technical documentation for a project including specifications, plans, drawings, etc. Ensures proposal is feasible, technically viable, and profitable. Calls attention to any risk associated with the technical design of product offering or supporting equipment.
- Procure Quotes: Acts as a technical consultant in efforts to procure quotes. Provides design support for accessories and ancillary equipment, including third party buy-out items. Creates CAD drawings as necessary for quoting purposes.
- Review Bid: Acts as a technical consultant in efforts to prepare and review bid package.
- Get Testing Approval: Works closely with outside sales, operations, and others to obtain customer approval of any required testing. Provides technical expertise on testing questions or concerns. May serve as on-site consultant for customer witness testing. Understands Hydraulic Institute standards and acts as technical advisor for customer and internal colleagues to ensure appropriate testing is obtain and customer expectations are fulfilled.
- Post-salesposition in which predominant job responsibilities and requirements occur after the sale of the company's product to the client. Provides post-sales technical expertise during the installation, implementation and maintenance of company products. May be involved in implementing detailed customer installation requirements. Ensures that client's needs have been met and that the product/solution is fully functioning according to specification. May provide follow-up support to company sales staff and customer personnel by disseminating technical information on specific applications.
- Identify and Define Post Sale Customer Need: Works closely with outside sales, internal colleagues, distributors, contractors, consulting engineers, or others to develop understanding of the post-sale customer support needed. Partners closely with the internal colleagues to obtain classifying information of the need including level of technical involvement, expertise required, urgency, application, customer type, etc.
- Scope Need: Works closely with the party who requested post sale support to gain deeper understanding of request and scope the need. Understands technical questions to ask to ensure proper information is provided in order to meet post sales need.
- Gather Data/Facts for Need: Responsible for providing technical and product expertise, as well as researching and gathering data in order to understand how to solve the post-sale customer need. Works closely with internal colleagues, subject matter experts, and technical and commercial resources to gather relevant data including technical/commercial implications of potential solutions, as well as history related to the customer and specific job.
- Problem Solve: Responsible for developing solution or corrective measure to complete customer need. Typical proclaiming solving could include commissioning and start-up support, troubleshooting (both on site and/or virtual), technical documentation and reports, performance evaluation, product modification, or accessory redesign.
- Propose/ Validate Solution: Works closely with outside sales and internal colleagues to present proposed solution or corrective measure. If customer is not satisfied with proposal the AE is responsible for further corrective measures.
- Implement Solution: Works closely with sales, operations, service, and others to implement proposed solution to satisfy customer's post sale need.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- 0-2+ Years w/ a BS engineering college/university degree
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Shop/Job Site: Daily Exposure to warehouse/shop.
- Exposure to undesirable field elements at treatment plants or contractors site.
- May need to walk job sites and treatment plants.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.