The Flygt brand represents a long history of pioneering development of products and solutions for handling water and wastewater.
It all started in the town of Emmaboda in southern Sweden, where Per Alfred Stenberg, a blacksmith and mould maker, established a foundry in 1901. Two decades later, in 1922, an engineer named Hilding Flygt set up a pump and fan sales company in Stockholm. A newspaper advertisement brought the two companies into contact in 1929, and resulted in Stenberg and his brother starting to manufacture Flygt pumps in Emmaboda.
The major breakthrough for the company came in 1947 when Sixten Englesson, chief engineer, invented the first submersible drainage pump. The first submersible sewage pump was unveiled in 1956. During the 1970s, the product range was expanded to include mixers and other products.